Thursday 9 April 2009

Around the feast of Unleavened Bread

Dutch version / Nederlands > Rond het Paasmaal


“And the first day of the feast of Unleavened Bread, the day for killing the paschal lamb, his disciples asked him, "Where do you want us to go and make preparation for you to eat the Passover?" Then he sent two of his disciples, and told them. "Go into the city, and you will meet a man carrying a jar of water. Follow him; and whatever house he enters, say to the master of the house, ‘The Teacher asks, "Where is your guest-chamber, where I may eat the Passover with my disciples?"’ He will himself show you a large, upper room, furnished and ready. there make preparation for us." So the disciples went off, and came into the city, and found everything as he had told them.” (Mr 14:12-16 MONTNT)


“Then came the day of Unleavened Bread, on which the paschal lamb must be sacrificed. So Jesus went to Peter and John saying, "Go and prepare for us the Passover, that we may eat it." "Where shall we get it ready?" they asked. He answered. "No sooner will you have entered the city than you will meet a man carrying a water-jug. Follow him into the house were he is going. "And to the good man of the house say, ‘The teacher asks you, "Where is the room in which I can eat the Passover with my disciples?"’ "Then he will show you a large upper room furnished. There make your preparations." So they went and found everything as he had told them, they prepared the Passover. And when the hour was come he sat down, and the twelve apostles with him, and he said to them. "With desire have I longed to eat this Passover with you before I suffer. For I tell you that I certainly will not eat again until it be fulfilled in the kingdom of God." Then he had received a cup and given thanks, he said, "Take this, and divide it among yourselves; for I tell you that I will drink no more of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God is come." And he took a loaf, and after giving thanks, he broke it and gave it to them saying. "This is my body, which is given for you; this do in remembrance of me.’ He gave them a cup in like manner, after supper saying. "This cup is the new covenant in my blood, poured out for your sake. "But behold, the hand of my betrayer is at the table with me! "The Son of man indeed goes on his way, as it has been determined; but woe to that man by who he is betrayed." And they began to question among themselves which of them it could be who was going to do such a thing. And there arose also a dispute among them as to which of them could be considered the greatest, and he said to them. "The kings of the Gentiles lord it over them, and those who have who have authority over them are called Benefactors. "But you shall not be so. But he who is greater among you let him become like the younger; and he who is leader like him who serves. "For which is greater, he who sits at table, or he who serves? Is it not he who sits at table? But I am in your midst as one who serves. "You, however, are those who have stood by me in my trials. "And I promise you a kingdom, even as my Father has promised me a kingdom; "so that you shall eat and drink in my kingdom, and you shall sit on thrones, judging the twelve tribes of Israel. "Simon, Simon," said the Lord, "behold, Satan has asked to have you all that he might sift you like wheat. "But I made supplication for you that your own faith may not fail. And you, when you have turned again, must strengthen your brothers." "Lord," Simon said to him, "I am ready to go with you, both to prison and to death." "I tell you, Peter," he answered. "the cock will not crow this day until you will three times deny that you know me." Moreover, he said to them, "When I sent you out without purse or wallet or sandals, did you lack anything?" They answered him, "We lacked nothing.’ Then he said to them. "But now let him who has a purse take it, and he who has a wallet, let him the do the same. And he who has no sword, let him sell his cloak and buy one. "For I say to you that this word of Scripture must find it’s fulfilment in me. "And he was numbered among the transgressors, For that which concerns me has its accomplishment." "Master" they said, "here are two swords!" "That is enough," he answered. Then he went out, and began to go to the Mount of Olives, as was his wont; and his disciples followed him. But he arrived at the place he said to them, "Pray that you enter not into temptation." But he himself withdrew from them about a stone’s throw, kneeling down he prayed repeatedly, saying. "Father, if thou art willing, take away this cup from me; but thy will, not mine, be done!" (And there appeared to him an angel from heaven, strengthening him. (And being in agony he kept praying more earnestly; and his sweat became as if it were great drops of blood falling down upon the ground.) When he arose from his prayers, and came to his disciples, he found them sleeping for sorrow, and said to them. "Why are you asleep? Get up, and pray that you enter not into temptation." While he was still speaking there came a crowd, and he who was called Judas, one of the Twelve, was leading them. He came near to Jesus in order to kiss him, but Jesus said to him, "Judas, you are betraying the Son of man with a kiss?" Those who were around him, when they saw what was about to happen, said to him, "Lord, shall we strike with our swords?" Then one of them did strike a blow at the high priest’s slave, and cut off his right ear. "Permit me to do this at least," said Jesus, as he touched his ear and healed him. Then Jesus said to the corps of priests and captains of the temple and elders who had come out to arrest him. "Have ye come for me with swords and clubs to arrest me like a robber? "When daily I was with you in the temple you did not stretch out your hands to take me; but this is your hour and the power of darkness." So they seized him and led him away, and took him to the house of the high priest; while Peter was following him a long way off. And when they had lighted a fire in the center of the court, and had sat down together, Peter was taking his seat among them. But a certain maid servant saw him taking his seat near the fire and, with a sharp glance at him, she said, "This fellow was with him, too!" But he denied it, saying, "Woman, I know nothing about him." A little later a man saw him, and said, "You too are one of them" But Peter declared, "Man, I am not." But an hour afterwards another man kept insisting, saying. "Really,this fellow was with him. Why, he is a Galilean." "Man," said Peter, "I do not know what you mean." And immediately, while he was still speaking, the cock crew. Then the Lord turned and looked at Peter, and Peter recollected the word of the Lord, how he had said to him, "This very day, before the cock crows, you will deny me three times." And Peter went outside and wept with bitter crying. Meanwhile the men who were holding Jesus in custody kept mocking and striking him. They would blindfold him and ask him. "Prophesy! Tell who struck you!" And they said many other insulting things against him.”
(Lu 22:7-65 MONTNT)

+++
2013 update:
 
Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment