Monday 31 May 2010

The radiance of God's glory and the counsellor


“David himself, speaking by the Holy Spirit, declared: "‘The Lord said to my Lord: "Sit at my right hand until I put your enemies under your feet."’ {Psalm 110:1}” (Mr 12:36 NIV)

   “they will lift you up in their hands, so that you will not strike your foot against a stone.’" {Psalm 91:11,12}” (Lu 4:11 NIV)

   “At that time Jesus, full of joy through the Holy Spirit, said, "I praise you, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, because you have hidden these things from the wise and learned, and revealed them to little children. Yes, Father, for this was your good pleasure.” (Lu 10:21 NIV)

   “And beginning with Moses and all the Prophets, he explained to them what was said in all the Scriptures concerning himself.” (Lu 24:27 NIV)

   “He said to them, "This is what I told you while I was still with you: Everything must be fulfilled that is written about me in the Law of Moses, the Prophets and the Psalms."” (Lu 24:44 NIV)

   “and said, "Brothers, the Scripture had to be fulfilled which the Holy Spirit spoke long ago through the mouth of David concerning Judas, who served as guide for those who arrested Jesus—” (Ac 1:16 NIV)

   “Exalted to the right hand of God, he has received from the Father the promised Holy Spirit and has poured out what you now see and hear.” (Ac 2:33 NIV)

   “how God anointed Jesus of Nazareth with the Holy Spirit and power, and how he went around doing good and healing all who were under the power of the devil, because God was with him.” (Ac 10:38 NIV)

   “They disagreed among themselves and began to leave after Paul had made this final statement: "The Holy Spirit spoke the truth to your forefathers when he said through Isaiah the prophet:” (Ac 28:25 NIV)

   “In the past God spoke to our forefathers through the prophets at many times and in various ways,” (Heb 1:1 NIV)

   “The Son is the radiance of God’s glory and the exact representation of his being, sustaining all things by his powerful word. After he had provided purification for sins, he sat down at the right hand of the Majesty in heaven.” (Heb 1:3 NIV)

   “So, as the Holy Spirit says: "Today, if you hear his voice,” (Heb 3:7 NIV)

   “For, "Whoever would love life and see good days must keep his tongue from evil and his lips from deceitful speech. He must turn from evil and do good; he must seek peace and pursue it. For the eyes of the Lord are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their prayer, but the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." {Psalm 34:12-16}” (1Pe 3:10-12 NIV)

   “For prophecy never had its origin in the will of man, but men spoke from God as they were carried along by the Holy Spirit.” (2Pe 1:21 NIV)

  “But the Counsellor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.” (Joh 14:26 NIV)

   “I have told you this, so that when the time comes you will remember that I warned you. I did not tell you this at first because I was with you. "Now I am going to him who sent me, yet none of you asks me, ‘Where are you going?’ Because I have said these things, you are filled with grief. But I tell you the truth: It is for your good that I am going away. Unless I go away, the Counsellor will not come to you; but if I go, I will send him to you. When he comes, he will convict the world of guilt {Or will expose the guilt of the world} in regard to sin and righteousness and judgment: in regard to sin, because men do not believe in me; in regard to righteousness, because I am going to the Father, where you can see me no longer; and in regard to judgment, because the prince of this world now stands condemned. "I have much more to say to you, more than you can now bear. But when he, the Spirit of truth, comes, he will guide you into all truth. He will not speak on his own; he will speak only what he hears, and he will tell you what is yet to come.” (Joh 16:4-13 NIV)

   “until the day he was taken up to heaven, after giving instructions through the Holy Spirit to the apostles he had chosen.” (Ac 1:2 NIV)

   “I did not receive it from any man, nor was I taught it; rather, I received it by revelation from Jesus Christ.” (Ga 1:12 NIV)

   “which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets.” (Eph 3:5 NIV)

   “because our gospel came to you not simply with words, but also with power, with the Holy Spirit and with deep conviction. You know how we lived among you for your sake.” (1Th 1:5 NIV)

   “And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable men who will also be qualified to teach others.” (2Ti 2:2 NIV)

  “that is, the mystery made known to me by revelation, as I have already written briefly. In reading this, then, you will be able to understand my insight into the mystery of Christ, which was not made known to men in other generations as it has now been revealed by the Spirit to God’s holy apostles and prophets. This mystery is that through the gospel the Gentiles are heirs together with Israel, members together of one body, and sharers together in the promise in Christ Jesus. I became a servant of this gospel by the gift of God’s grace given me through the working of his power. Although I am less than the least of all God’s people, this grace was given me: to preach to the Gentiles the unsearchable riches of Christ, and to make plain to everyone the administration of this mystery, which for ages past was kept hidden in God, who created all things. His intent was that now, through the church, the manifold wisdom of God should be made known to the rulers and authorities in the heavenly realms, according to his eternal purpose which he accomplished in Christ Jesus our Lord. In him and through faith in him we may approach God with freedom and confidence.” (Eph 3:3-12 NIV)

   “I have become its servant by the commission God gave me to present to you the word of God in its fulness— the mystery that has been kept hidden for ages and generations, but is now disclosed to the saints.” (Col 1:25-26 NIV)

   “We are from God, and whoever knows God listens to us; but whoever is not from God does not listen to us. This is how we recognise the Spirit {Or spirit} of truth and the spirit of falsehood.” (1Jo 4:6 NIV)

  “He told them, "The secret of the kingdom of God has been given to you. But to those on the outside everything is said in parables” (Mr 4:11 NIV)

   “No, we speak of God’s secret wisdom, a wisdom that has been hidden and that God destined for our glory before time began. None of the rulers of this age understood it, for if they had, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory. However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him"— {Isaiah 64:4} but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.” (1Co 2:7-10 NIV)

   “The LORD your God will raise up for you a prophet like me from among your own brothers. You must listen to him. For this is what you asked of the LORD your God at Horeb on the day of the assembly when you said, "Let us not hear the voice of the LORD our God nor see this great fire any more, or we will die." The LORD said to me: "What they say is good. I will raise up for them a prophet like you from among their brothers; I will put my words in his mouth, and he will tell them everything I command him. If anyone does not listen to my words that the prophet speaks in my name, I myself will call him to account.” (De 18:15-19 NIV)

   “Jesus answered, "It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes from the mouth of God.’" {Deut. 8:3}” (Mt 4:4 NIV)

   “He humbled you, causing you to hunger and then feeding you with manna, which neither you nor your fathers had known, to teach you that man does not live on bread alone but on every word that comes from the mouth of the LORD.” (De 8:3 NIV)

   “Jesus answered, "It is written: ‘Man does not live on bread alone.’" {Deut. 8:3}” (Lu 4:4 NIV)

   “Jesus answered him, "It is also written: ‘Do not put the Lord your God to the test.’" {Deut. 6:16}” (Mt 4:7 NIV)

   “Do not test the LORD your God as you did at Massah.” (De 6:16 NIV)

   “Jesus said to him, "Away from me, Satan! For it is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God, and serve him only.’" {Deut. 6:13}” (Mt 4:10 NIV)

   “"You shall have no other gods before {Or besides} me. "You shall not make for yourself an idol in the form of anything in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the waters below. You shall not bow down to them or worship them; for I, the LORD your God, am a jealous God, punishing the children for the sin of the fathers to the third and fourth generation of those who hate me,” (Ex 20:3-5 NIV)

   “Do not worship any other god, for the LORD, whose name is Jealous, is a jealous God.” (Ex 34:14 NIV)

   “Fear the LORD your God, serve him only and take your oaths in his name. Do not follow other gods, the gods of the peoples around you;” (De 6:13-14 NIV)

   “Fear the LORD your God and serve him. Hold fast to him and take your oaths in his name.” (De 10:20 NIV)

   “Jesus answered, "It is written: ‘Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.’" {Deut. 6:13}” (Lu 4:8 NIV)

   “Jesus replied, "You are in error because you do not know the Scriptures or the power of God. At the resurrection people will neither marry nor be given in marriage; they will be like the angels in heaven. But about the resurrection of the dead—have you not read what God said to you, ‘I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob’? {Exodus 3:6} He is not the God of the dead but of the living." When the crowds heard this, they were astonished at his teaching. Hearing that Jesus had silenced the Sadducees, the Pharisees got together. One of them, an expert in the law, tested him with this question: "Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?" Jesus replied: "‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ {Deut. 6:5} This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbour as yourself.’ {Lev. 19:18} All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments."” (Mt 22:29-40 NIV)

   “He went away a second time and prayed, "My Father, if it is not possible for this cup to be taken away unless I drink it, may your will be done."” (Mt 26:42 NIV)

   “About the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, {Some manuscripts Eli, Eli} lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" {Psalm 22:1}” (Mt 27:46 NIV)

   “"But at the beginning of creation God ‘made them male and female’. {Gen. 1:27}” (Mr 10:6 NIV)

    “So God created man in his own image, in the image of God he created him; male and female he created them.” (Ge 1:27 NIV)

   “the LORD God formed the man {The Hebrew for man (adam) sounds like and may be related to the Hebrew for ground (adamah); it is also the name Adam (see Gen. 2:20).} from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life, and the man became a living being.” (Ge 2:7 NIV)

   “So the man gave names to all the livestock, the birds of the air and all the beasts of the field. But for Adam {Or the man} no suitable helper was found. So the LORD God caused the man to fall into a deep sleep; and while he was sleeping, he took one of the man’s ribs {Or took part of the man’s side} and closed up the place with flesh. Then the LORD God made a woman from the rib {Or part} he had taken out of the man, and he brought her to the man. The man said, "This is now bone of my bones and flesh of my flesh; she shall be called ‘woman’, {The Hebrew for woman sounds like the Hebrew for man.} for she was taken out of man."” (Ge 2:20-23 NIV)

   “"Abba, {Aramaic for Father} Father," he said, "everything is possible for you. Take this cup from me. Yet not what I will, but what you will."” (Mr 14:36 NIV)    “And at the ninth hour Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?"—which means, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" {Psalm 22:1}” (Mr 15:34 NIV)

  “"Father, if you are willing, take this cup from me; yet not my will, but yours be done."” (Lu 22:42 NIV)

   “When the Lord learned of this, he left Judea and went back once more to Galilee.” (Joh 4:3 NIV)

   “By myself I can do nothing; I judge only as I hear, and my judgment is just, for I seek not to please myself but him who sent me.” (Joh 5:30 NIV)

   “For I have come down from heaven not to do my will but to do the will of him who sent me.” (Joh 6:38 NIV)

   “After Jesus said this, he looked towards heaven and prayed: "Father, the time has come. Glorify your Son, that your Son may glorify you.” (Joh 17:1 NIV)

   “Now this is eternal life: that they may know you, the only true God, and Jesus Christ, whom you have sent.” (Joh 17:3 NIV)

   “Jesus said, "Do not hold on to me, for I have not yet returned to the Father. Go instead to my brothers and tell them, ‘I am returning to my Father and your Father, to my God and your God.’"” (Joh 20:17 NIV)

   “so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ.” (Ro 15:6 NIV)

   “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of compassion and the God of all comfort,” (2Co 1:3 NIV)

   “The God and Father of the Lord Jesus, who is to be praised for ever, knows that I am not lying.” (2Co 11:31 NIV)

   “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us in the heavenly realms with every spiritual blessing in Christ.” (Eph 1:3 NIV)

   “I keep asking that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the glorious Father, may give you the Spirit {Or a spirit} of wisdom and revelation, so that you may know him better.” (Eph 1:17 NIV)

   “You have loved righteousness and hated wickedness; therefore God, your God, has set you above your companions by anointing you with the oil of joy." {Psalm 45:#6,7}” (Heb 1:9 NIV)

   “Then I said, ‘Here I am—it is written about me in the scroll—I have come to do your will, O God.’" {Psalm 40:6-8 (see Septuagint)}” (Heb 10:7 NIV)

   “Praise be to the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,” (1Pe 1:3 NIV)

   “He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes, I will give the right to eat from the tree of life, which is in the paradise of God.” (Re 2:7 NIV)

   “Wake up! Strengthen what remains and is about to die, for I have not found your deeds complete in the sight of my God.” (Re 3:2 NIV)

   “Him who overcomes I will make a pillar in the temple of my God. Never again will he leave it. I will write on him the name of my God and the name of the city of my God, the new Jerusalem, which is coming down out of heaven from my God; and I will also write on him my new name.” (Re 3:12 NIV)    



For text and comments in Dutch, please see Dutch version with Nieuwe Bijbel Vertaling/ Nederlandse versie met commentaren en NBV aanhaling > De uitstraling van God en zijn pleitbezorger
English / Dutch = Engels met Nederlandse versie met Naardense Bijbel Vertaling > Revealed Truth

1 comment:


  1. God has revealed his truth by means of his holy spirit through the prophets in the Old Testament and through Jesus and his apostles in the New Testament. (Mark 12:36; Luke 4:11; 10:21; 24:27,44; Acts 1:16; 2:33; 10:38; 28:25; Hebrews 1:1,3; 3:7; 1 Peter 3:10-12; 2 Peter 1:21)

    God, by means of his holy spirit, especially led the apostles into all the truths concerning Christ and what he said. (John 14:26; 16:4-13; Acts 1:2; Galatians 1:12; Ephesians 3:5; 1 Thessalonians 1:5; 2 Timothy 2:2) The truths revealed to the apostles and made available to us are recorded in the Bible (the commonly-accepted 66 books) itself. (Ephesians 3:3-12; Colossians 1:25,26; 1 John 4:6) Of course, without the holy spirit, these things that are recorded will still be a mystery to us. -- Mark 4:11; 1 Corinthians 2:7-10.

    God's holy spirit reveals through the scriptures that Yahweh (Jehovah) is the only true God, the God and Father of the Lord Jesus. Jesus has one who is the Supreme Being over him; Jesus is not his Supreme Being whom he worships, prays to, and who sent him, and whose will he carried out in willful obedience. -- Deuteronomy 18:15-19; Matthew 4:4 (Deuteronomy 8:3; Luke 4:4); Matthew 4:7 (Deuteronomy 6:16); Matthew 4:10 (Exodus 20:3-5; 34:14; Deuteronomy 6:13,14; 10:20; Luke 4:8); Matthew 22:29-40; Matthew 26:42; Matthew 27:46; Mark 10:6 (Genesis 1:27; Genesis 2:7,20-23); Mark 14:36; 15:34; Luke 22:42; John 4:3; 5:30; 6:38; 17:1,3; 20:17; Romans 15:6; 2 Corinthians 1:3; 11:31; Ephesians 1:3,17; Hebrews 1:9; 10:7; 1 Peter 1:3; Revelation 2:7; 3:2,12.

    ReplyDelete