LichfieldIn 1870 the recently appointed headmistress of St. Chad's school was forced to resign because of her Christadelphian beliefs. Thomas Sykes, who had formed a small Christadelphian community at Bourton on the Water (Glos.), moved to Lichfield in 1874. By 1885 eight Christadelphians were meeting in each other's houses, and in 1890 a meeting room was opened above Sykes's shop in Tamworth Street. In 1902 the vicar of St. Mary's, C. N. Bolton, denounced the sect as heretical, and a public meeting followed at which the members defended their beliefs. Their numbers increased, and from 1903 meetings were held in St. James's Hall in Bore Street. After the hall was converted into a cinema in 1912, the society of over 40 members built its own hall in Station Road; it was opened in 1914 and extended in 1959. (fn. 31) The society still met there in the late 1980s.
Roman Catholicism and Protestant nonconformity
- A History of the County of Stafford: Volume 14
Author: M.W. Greenslade (editor)
Year published: 1990
Read more> British History on line