Wednesday 24 June 2009

A Living Faith #11 My place in the body of Christ and my ecclesia



My place in the body of Christ and my ecclesia

“If we say that we have fellowship with Him, and walk in darkness, we lie and do not practice the truth. But if we walk in the light as He is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus Christ His Son cleanses us from all sin.” 1John 1:6-7

& What does this mean in practical terms?

Ø  Only by walking in the light of God’s word can I have fellowship, so I must try to emulate the examples in scripture of faithful brethren such as Paul. 2Cor 11:1; Phil 3:17
Ø  Christ has promised that he will be present when two or more are met together. (Matt 18:20) So, I must work in harmony with my brethren and sisters and strive to ensure that things are done in a proper manner with respect for God. 1Cor 14:40; 1Cor 16:13-14; 1Pet 5:5-6
Ø  I must meet with my brethren and sisters as often as possible and support all the meetings.  Heb 10:24-25
Ø  I should greet my brethren and sisters in a warm, friendly, cheerful manner. Rom 16:6; 1Cor 16:20; 1Pet 5:14; Gal 2:9
Ø  In all meetings I must strive to remain alert and to concentrate on all that is said and done. Eph 6:18; Col 4:2
Ø  I must support the preaching work of the ecclesia. Luke 11:33; 1Cor 9:16; Acts 8:4; Rom 10:14-15; 2Tim 1:8
Ø  If a brother particularly if an elder, I will exhibit Christ-like qualities, being patient, sober-minded, not self–willed, not quick–tempered but setting an example of godliness. 1Tim 3:1-2; Titus 1:7.
Ø  If a sister I will be silent when the ecclesia meets together, dress modestly and teach children the scriptures. Older sisters must set an example for the younger.  1Tim 2:11-12; 1Peter 3:3-5
Ø  If anybody does not believe or behave according to God’s word I will not fellowship with them. Rom 16:17; 1Thess 3:6; 2Thess 3:14
Ø  It is my duty to be diligent and fervent in spirit, serving the Lord to the best of my ability ensuring that all things are done decently and in order within the ecclesia. This includes ensuring that I get to meetings in plenty of time so that they start on time.  Rom:12:11; 1Cor 14:40
Ø  Jesus has shown me how to care for my brethren and sisters by washing his disciple’s feet, so I must be humble and follow his example. John 13:12-15
Ø  Love should characterise all that is done in the meetings, therefore I will strive to show my love for brethren and sisters in practical ways. 1Cor 13:4-7; Eph 5:1-2

- Andy Peel

+
In this series:


+++

2016 January update
 

No comments:

Post a Comment